- Open Access
Commentary: which child obesity definitions predict health risk?
© The Author(s). 2017
- Received: 19 January 2017
- Accepted: 20 January 2017
- Published: 4 February 2017
This Commentary considers the different definitions of child overweight and obesity, and reflects on the findings of the paper by Valerio et al. in this issue of the journal.
- Risk factors
No funding was received for the preparation of this paper.
Availability of data and materials
The paper is an original piece of work and the author read and approved the final manuscript.
The author is Director of Policy at the World Obesity Federation, London, UK.
The author declares that he has no competing interests.
Consent for publication
Ethics approval and consent to participate
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.
- Power C, Lake JK, Cole TJ. Measurement and long-term health risks of child and adolescent fatness. Int J Obes. 1997;21:507–26.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lobstein T, Baur L, Uauy R, IASO International Obesity TaskForce. Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public health. Obes Rev. 2004;5 Suppl 1:4–104.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- WHO/IASO/IOTF. The Asia-Pacific perspective: redefining obesity and its treatment. Melbourne: Health Communications Australia; 2000. www.wpro.who.int/nutrition/documents/docs/Redefiningobesity.pdf. Accessed 24 Jan 2017.
- Cole TJ, Lobstein T. Extended international (IOTF) body mass index cut-offs for thinness, overweight and obesity. Pediatr Obes. 2012;7:284–94.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization. The WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study (MGRS). Geneva: WHO; 2007. http://www.who.int/childgrowth/mgrs/en/. Accessed 24 Jan 2017.
- de Onis M, Lobstein T. Defining obesity risk status in the general childhood population: which cut-offs should we use? Int J Pediatr Obes. 2010;5:458–60.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- See Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youden%27s_J_statistic. Accessed 24 Jan 2017.
- Matsushita Y, Kuroda Y, Niwa S, Sonehara S, Hamada C, Yoshimura I. Criteria revision and performance comparison of three methods of signal detection applied to the spontaneous reporting database of a pharmaceutical manufacturer. Drug Saf. 2007;30:715–26.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar